Donate Blood – #DONATE4DIVERSITY
Saturday, April 1, 2023, 10AM – 5PM
MEET NFL LINEBACKER MARKUS GOLDEN
Please note → The autograph time is from 12pm ~ 4pm.
Join SCDAA, OneBlood, and Hemanext in our efforts to raise awareness around the importance of diversity in the blood donor pool. Blood drives play a crucial role in saving lives and maintaining a healthy blood supply.
However, the diversity of the donor pool is often limited, which can result in a shortage of blood that is compatible with certain racial and ethnic groups, such as those affected by sickle cell disease (SCD).1
Reasons to #DONATE4DIVERSITY
Sickle cell patients may need 100 units of blood each year.2
Only 2% of all blood donors are a match for a sickle cell patient.5
1 in 3 African American blood donors are a match for a sickle cell patient.3
African Americans make up less than 3% of blood donors.4
You can make a difference! Help Bridge the gap in blood donation diversity.
- AABB News: diverse donor pool saves lives. News release. AABB Newsfeed. March 14, 2022. Accessed February 10, 2023. https://www.aabb.org/news-resources/news/article/2022/03/14/diverse-donor-pool-saves-lives.
- Join the Fight Against Sickle Cell Disease. American Red Cross. Accessed Feb 10, 2023. https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/how-blood-donations-help/blood-needs-blood-supply.html.
- Why are African American blood donations important? American Red Cross. Accessed February 10, 2023. https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/blood-types/diversity/african-american-blood-donors.html.
- Blood donations safety. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. Accessed February 17, 2023. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/education/blood/social-media-resources/blood-donations-safety.
5. What are the rarest and most common blood types? Medical News today. Accessed February 20, 2023. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/most-common-blood-type-by-race.