YOU COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Help bridge the gap in blood donation diversity.
Join SCDAA, OneBlood, and Hemanext in our efforts to raise awareness around the importance of diversity in the blood donor pool. Blood drives play a crucial role in saving lives and maintaining a healthy blood supply.
However, the diversity of the donor pool is often limited, which can result in a shortage of blood that is compatible with certain racial and ethnic groups, such as those affected by sickle cell disease (SCD).1
Reasons to #DONATE4DIVERSITY
Sickle cell patients may need 100 units of blood each year.2
Only 2% of all blood donors are a match for a sickle cell patient.5
1 in 3 African American blood donors are a match for a sickle cell patient.3
African Americans make up less than 3% of blood donors.4
You can make a difference! Help Bridge the gap in blood donation diversity.
Upcoming #Donate4Diversity Blood Drives
- Other dates & locations coming soon!
- AABB News: diverse donor pool saves lives. News release. AABB Newsfeed. March 14, 2022. Accessed February 10, 2023. https://www.aabb.org/news-resources/news/article/2022/03/14/diverse-donor-pool-saves-lives.
- Join the Fight Against Sickle Cell Disease. American Red Cross. Accessed Feb 10, 2023. https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/how-blood-donations-help/blood-needs-blood-supply.html.
- Why are African American blood donations important? American Red Cross. Accessed February 10, 2023. https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/blood-types/diversity/african-american-blood-donors.html.
- Blood donations safety. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. Accessed February 17, 2023. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/education/blood/social-media-resources/blood-donations-safety.
5. What are the rarest and most common blood types? Medical News today. Accessed February 20, 2023. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/most-common-blood-type-by-race.